My Salomon Anka CS WP's are the best $70 I ever spent on hiking gear. I was looking for a good winter boot that wouldn't break the bank. This shoe has:
- Full rubber around the boot for added protection
- A high-cut profile for ankle support
- High quality lining for breathability and quick drying
- Heel foam for foot support on those extra long hikes
- A rating to -25F or -12C
- An excellent grip for slippery surfaces when you're barebooting
Salomon has a great reputation for making quality ski gear. Their claim to fame was superior engineering, not marketing. I did a lot of research and found that these were the best shoe option for my budget. After a long season of winter hiking, these boots have held up great. I haven't had any issues with them. They've kept me dry, warm, and comfortable on long hikes as well as short hikes in the Fells.
The biggest issue with women's winter hiking boots is availability. You can find a great shoe one year and have it pulled off the shelves the next year. I originally bought this boot on Zappos, but it has since disappeared. Luckily Salomon sells their shoe on Amazon here.